About the Awards
The Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards returns for its third year, engaging the Filipino reading public in honoring their favorite Philippine-published titles. An initiative of the Filipino Book Bloggers Group, the Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards debuted at the 2nd Filipino Reader Conference in 2012, and was established to develop awareness and appreciation of Philippine literature, recognize the reader’s role in creating the meaning and experience of a literary work, and give the readers a voice in the Philippine book industry.
For 2014, the Filipino Readers’ choice awards will be open to books published from January to December 2013, in the following categories:
- Fiction in English– A novel in English, in any of the following genres: literary fiction, mystery/thriller, historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, horror, speculative fiction
- Fiction in Filipino (or Taglish) – A novel in Filipino (or Taglish), in any of the following genres: literary fiction, mystery/thriller, historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, horror, speculative fiction
- Romance in English – A novel or novelette in English, in any of the following genres or classifications: romance, chick lit, erotica
- Romance in Filipino (or Taglish) – A novel or novelette in Filipino (or Taglish), in any of the following genres or classifications: romance, chick lit, erotica
- Fiction Anthology – Short story compilation by a single author or multiple authors, in either English or Filipino
- Young Adult Fiction – A novel aimed towards the young adult audience, in either English or Filipino
- Children’s Picture Book – A children’s picture book, fiction or nonfiction, in either English or Filipino
- Comics & Graphic Novels – A comic compilation or graphic novel, fiction or nonfiction, in either English or Filipino
- Poetry – A collection of poetry by a single author or multiple authors, in either English or Filipino
- Inspirational / Religious – Nonfiction, in any of the following classifications: religious, spiritual, inspirational, either English or Filipino
- Humor – Nonfiction work, classified as humor, in either English or Filipino
- Food & Cookbook – Nonfiction work, classified under food or cooking
- Nonfiction – Single work or anthology, of the following classifications: arts and culture, memoir, autobiography, biography, creative nonfiction, history, philosophy, psychology, in either English or Filipino
- For reference, the FRCA has compiled, though by no means exhaustive, a list of 2013 published books, as submitted to the FRCA committee by Filipino publishers.
- Reprints or later editions of books previously nominated to the FRCA will not be considered for the awards.
- Works of Filipino authors published abroad are accepted as long as they meet the set publication dates and category description
- Translated works of foreign authors are currently not qualified for any of the award categories.
- The FRCA committee reserves the right to decide on the books qualified for nomination based on the publication dates and category description.
- Additional queries may be addressed to the FRCA Committee via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phase 1: Nominations (August 4 – 18)
Nominations are open from August 4 to 18, 2014. To nominate a book, just fill out the online nomination form on the Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards website. The nomination form gets sent to the Filipino RCA committee.
Phase 2: Public Voting (August 20 – September 10)
At the end of the nomination period, an online ballot will be posted on the site. The public can vote one title per category.
After the voting period, the Filipino Readers Choice Awards committee will then come up with a shortlist of finalists for the awards, based on the tally of votes sent in by readers. Top three nominations per category will be included in the shortlist and considered as finalists.
The finalists for the awards will be announced on the Filipino ReaderCon Kick-Off Event on September 18, 2014 at the Manila International Book Fair. The list of finalists will also be posted in the website after the kick-off.
Phase 3: Panel Judging (September 26 to October 26)
The finalists will be deliberated upon by a panel composed of select Filipino book bloggers and readers.
Awarding (TBA – November 2014, Filipino Reader Conference)
The winners of the 2014 Filipino Reader’s Choice Awards will be announced at the 4th Filipino Reader Conference slated in November 2014.
Winning authors and publishers will receive an award, and the right to use the Filipino Readers Choice Awards seal on their books.