Hi everyone, happy August! :)
Things are slowly starting to pick up behind the scenes for the Filipino ReaderCon this year, and with those preparations, the Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards team is also starting to gear up and get ready for another fun (and perhaps crazy :D) FRCA season! And with that, we are excited to announce that we are now accepting nominations for the 2014 Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards!
An initiative of the Filipino Book Bloggers Group, the Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards debuted at the 2nd Filipino Reader Conference in 2012, and was established to develop awareness and appreciation of Philippine literature, recognize the reader’s role in creating the meaning and experience of a literary work, and give the readers a voice in the Philippine book industry.
Nomination period is from August 4 to 18, 2014, so that’s plenty of time to nominate your favorite Filipino-authored, 2013 published books, and tell your friends to nominate their favorite Philippine published books, too!
To nominate a book, fill out the nomination form and hit submit. You can nominate as many books as you want, but don’t forget: only books written by Filipino authors, published from January to December 2013 will be accepted. Nominations that do not fulfill these criteria will be disqualified. Not quite sure if the book you read and liked was published in 2013? We have a list of 2013 published books here. If you’re an author or a publisher and your 2013 book(s) are not in the list, please send us an email at email@example.com with the title, author, and publisher and we’ll add them to the list. :)
Here are the categories for this year’s FRCA:
- Fiction in English– A novel in English, in any of the following genres: literary fiction, mystery/thriller, historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, horror, speculative fiction
- Fiction in Filipino (or Taglish) – A novel in Filipino (or Taglish), in any of the following genres: literary fiction, mystery/thriller, historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, horror, speculative fiction
- Romance in English – A novel or novelette in English, in any of the following genres or classifications: romance, chick lit, erotica
- Romance in Filipino (or Taglish) – A novel or novelette in Filipino (or Taglish), in any of the following genres or classifications: romance, chick lit, erotica
- Fiction Anthology – Short story compilation by a single author or multiple authors, in either English or Filipino
- Young Adult Fiction – A novel aimed towards the young adult audience, in either English or Filipino
- Children’s Picture Book – A children’s picture book, fiction or nonfiction, in either English or Filipino
- Comics & Graphic Novels – A comic compilation or graphic novel, fiction or nonfiction, in either English or Filipino
- Poetry – A collection of poetry by a single author or multiple authors, in either English or Filipino
- Inspirational / Religious – Nonfiction, in any of the following classifications: religious, spiritual, inspirational, either English or Filipino
- Humor – Nonfiction work, classified as humor, in either English or Filipino
- Food & Cookbook – Nonfiction work, classified under food or cooking
- Nonfiction – Single work or anthology, of the following classifications: arts and culture, memoir, autobiography, biography, creative nonfiction, history, philosophy, psychology, in either English or Filipino
Some other things to keep in mind before submitting your nominations:
- Reprints or later editions of books previously nominated to the FRCA will not be considered for the awards.
- Works of Filipino authors published abroad are accepted as long as they meet the set publication dates and category description
- Translated works of foreign authors are currently not qualified for any of the award categories.
- The FRCA committee reserves the right to decide on the books qualified for nomination based on the publication dates and category description.
You can check timeline of the 2014 Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards on this page. We’ll be posting more updates here, so keep checking back. :)
Questions, comments? Feel free to email the FRCA Committee via firstname.lastname@example.org.