It’s been more than a week since nominations were open for the first Filipino Readers’ Choice Awards, and I think we have a pretty good turnout! Thanks to everyone who has nominated their favorite books so far.
- More than one person can nominate the same book — so if the book you want to nominate is already in the list below, it’s okay if you want to nominate it again. We like reading your reasons. :)
- Remember that the qualified books are books that are published in the Philippines from January 2010 to December 2011. If your nomination does not fit this criteria, it will not be included in the list. Books that are published from another country and distributed here are not included, unless a local publishing house picks it up and distributes it locally (example: Tall Story by Candy Gourlay).
- For books published in a series, only the books that were published within the time period specified in the criteria will qualify. (example: Trese # 1-3 was published in 2008-2009, but the fourth book was published in 2011, so only the fourth book is qualified for nomination)
- Yes, self-published books are welcome, as long as they’re published within the time period.
Nominations are open until July 22, so make sure you nominate your favorite book! In case the form doesn’t work for you, you can send your nominations via email to filipinoreaderschoice[at]gmail.com with your Name, Email, Book Title, Author, Publisher, Category, and Reasons for nominating the book in the email body. :)
Children’s picture book
- 100 Questions Filipino Children Ask – Vol 2 by Various Authors (2011, Adarna House)
- Fairy Tale Fail by Mina V. Esguerra (2010, Self-published)
Novel in English
- News of the Shaman by Karl R. De Mesa (2010, Visprint)
- Super Panalo Sounds! by Lourd de Veyra (2011, UST Publishing House)
- Naermyth by Karen Francisco (2010, Visprint)
- Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco (2010, Anvil)
- Tall Story by Candy Gourlay (2010, Cacho House)
Novel in Filipino
- Lumbay ng Dila by Genevieve L. Asenjo (2010, C&E Publishing)
- Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan by Bob Ong (2010, Visprint)
Comics / Graphic novels
- Angel Crush by Ace Vitangcol (2011, Alturia Hill)
- Skyworld #3: Prodigal by Mervin Ignacio and Ian Sta. Maria (2011, Alamat)
- Trese # 4: Last Seen After Midnight by Budjette Tan and KaJo Baldisimo (2011, Visprint)
- High Society by Hannah Buena and Paolo Chikiamco (2011, Rocket Kapre and Flipside)
Short story anthology
- Philippine Speculaive Fiction 6 edited by Nikki Alfar and Kate Aton Osias (2011, Kestrel DDM)
- Alternative Alamat edited by Paolo Chikiamco (2011, Rocket Kapre and Flipside)
- Astigirl by Tweet Sering (2011, Astigirl Publishing)
- Chulalongkorn’s Elephants by Ambeth Ocampo (2011, Anvil)
- Showbiz Lengua by Jose Lacaba (2011, Anvil)
- Productive Pinoy by Yeng Remulla (2011, Meaningful Work Publishing)
Congratulations to the nominees! :) Also, we need more nominees for Children’s Picture Book and Chick Lit, as well as some nominees for Poetry. Keep those nominations coming and don’t forget to spread the word!